Freshman Lorenzo Rodriguez earned the Tigers’ first singles point on the day. Photo Credit: Anthony Hall, Auburn Athletics
March 11, 2018
Final Stats |
AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 9 Florida, who boasted two top 10 singles players and two top 10 doubles tandems, 6-1 on Sunday at home in the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
“It was tough. Florida is an unbelievable team, one to six. They don’t have a hole in their lineup. Our guys knew it. I thought we competed really well. That’s what I asked out of them. No matter what the score is or where they are in the match, I want them to stick to what they know for the game plan and compete. I thought we did a pretty good job of that.”
Auburn battled in doubles, but Florida ultimately took the point. The No. 1 doubles tandem in the nation of Alfredo Perez and Johannes Ingildsen defeated Auburn’s Ed Nguyen and Matteo De Vicentis 6-4 on court one. The No. 12 duo of Duarte Vale and McCain Kessler clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Auburn’s Tad Maclean and Olle Thestrup.
In singles, the Gators rode their momentum to victory. No. 7 Alfredo Perez claimed the first singles point for Florida with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Auburn’s Ed Nguyen on court one. Chase Perez-Blanco followed that with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Auburn’s Tad Maclean on court four. No. 6 Johannes Ingildsen clinched the match for the Gators with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Auburn’s Olle Thestrup on court two.
The Gators went on to win three more matches, but Lorenzo Rodriguez was a bright spot for the Tigers as he defeated Florida’s McClain Kessler 7-5, 6-2 on court five.
The Tigers are now 9-8 on the season and 0-3 in SEC play. Florida is 8-5 and 3-1 in SEC play.
Auburn’s next action will be against No. 34 Tulane on Thursday, March 15 at noon at home in the Yarbrough Tennis Center (771 Yarbrough Farms Blvd., Auburn), and admission is free.
University of Florida 6, Auburn 1
1. #7 Alfredo Perez (UF) def. Edward Nguyen (AUBURN) 6-0, 6-1
2. #6 Johannes Ingildsen (UF) def. Olle Thestrup (AUBURN) 6-2, 6-2
3. #93 Oliver Crawford (UF) def. Carles Sarrio (AUBURN) 7-5, 6-1
4. Chase Perez-Blanco (UF) def. Tad Maclean (AUBURN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Lorenzo Rodriguez (AUBURN) def. McClain Kessler (UF) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jordan Belga (UF) def. Brandon Laubser (AUBURN) 6-3, 6-3
1. #1 Alfredo Perez/Johannes Ingildsen (UF) def. Edward Nguyen/Matteo De Vincentis (AUBURN) 6-4
2. #12 Duarte Vale/McClain Kessler (UF) def. Tad Maclean/Olle Thestrup (AUBURN) 6-4
3. Carles Sarrio/Diego Chavarria (AUBURN) vs. #10 Oliver Crawford/Chase Perez-Blanco (UF) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,4,2,6,3,5)